United States of America permanent resident card

The Law Office

of Douglas Carman

The Law Office of Douglas Carman is a law firm practicing exclusively in the area of immigration and nationality law.  We have extensive experience in representing international physicians and scholars who come here for training in their fields, and who decide they want to pursue legal permanent residence in the United States.

Waiver of the J-1 foreign residence requirement

One of the challenges many physicians and scholars who come to the United States on a J-1 visa face is the "Foreign Residence Requirement" of INA 212(e), which is also known by other names such as the "home country rule" and the "home residency requirement." A person may seek a waiver of INA 212(e) on the following bases:

1. No Objection Statement

2. Request by an Interested U.S. Federal Government Agency

3. Persecution

4. Exceptional Hardship to a U.S. Citizen (or lawful permanent resident) Spouse or Child of an Exchange Visitor

5. Request by a Designated State Public Health Department or its Equivalent (Conrad State 30 Program)

Douglas has handled hundreds of successful "hardship" and "persecution" applications over the past several years, and he is frequently consulted for advice on such cases by other attorneys around the country."

EB1 and EB2/NIW immigrant petitions

Many full-time employees may apply for a green card on the basis of their employer's immigrant petition for an alien worker, but some qualified individuals may apply without an employer sponsor if the USCIS determines that they have extraordinary ability or that they are likely to make unique and substantial contributions to the national interest of the United States. Douglas has handled hundreds of these "self-petitions," which allow the workers more freedom and flexibility in the job market. For a free evaluation of your chances of approval, please e-mail your CV to him for a review.

Other Immigration Services.

The Law Office of Douglas Carman provides a full range of other immigration services, including but not limited to the following:

Visitor visas

Student visas

Employment visas

Immigration based on employment

Immigration based on family relationship



Temporary Protected Status


Please contact Douglas at to arrange for a consultation by phone or a personal meeting.